About Us
Start of Page

Please note that the Residential Institutions Redress Board no longer has the power to accept new applications

1. What is the Redress Board?

The Redress Board was set up under the Residential Institutions Redress Act, 2002 to make fair and reasonable awards to persons who, as children, were abused while resident in industrial schools, reformatories and other institutions subject to state regulation or inspection.

The Board, which is wholly independent, is chaired by Mr. Justice Esmond Smyth.

2. How will it operate?

All applications for redress are treated in the strictest confidence, and all hearings conducted by the Board are in private.

Making an application for redress does not require you to give up any right you may have to bring a claim for damages in the courts. You can wait and see if the Board makes an award which is acceptable to you. If you wish to accept the award made by the Board, however, you must then agree to give up certain legal rights. If the Board’s award is not acceptable, you may simply reject it and proceed with any other legal claims which are available to you.

3. Who is entitled to apply for redress?

You should apply to the Board if you can answer “Yes” to all the following questions:

  • Were you resident in an industrial school, reformatory school, children’s home, special hospital or a similar institution at any time while you were under the age of 18?
  • Were you subjected to sexual, physical or emotional abuse or serious neglect while you were resident in that institution?
  • Have you suffered physical, psychiatric or other injury consistent with that abuse?

It is not necessary for a person to have been prosecuted or convicted of any criminal offence in connection with the abuse.

  • Please note that the Board may not be able to pay redress in the following circumstances:
  • You were not resident in the institution at the time of the abuse.
  • The institution in which you were resident is not listed in the Act.
  • The person who was abused died before 11 May 1999.
  • You have already received damages from a court or a settlement in respect of the abuse.
  • You are unable to satisfy the Board that you are entitled to redress under the terms of the Act.

4. How do I apply?

To apply for redress you must complete an official application form which is designed to give the Board as much as possible of the information it requires to deal with your application. Please click here for further information on the application procedure